Call for Nominations for the
2018-2019 PTA Executive Board
The PTA at PS150Q is currently looking for individuals willing to serve as leaders on the Executive Board for the 2018-2019 school year. Key positions will be vacant next year – which means, the PTA won’t exist without you!
Why would you consider becoming involved in PTA during the 2018-2019 school year? Because you want PS150Q to continue to be one of the best schools in New York City. You want your child to have an enriching school year – to learn AND have fun. You want to help decide how the PTA raises funds and how the budget is spent.
You want all the students at PS150Q to be successful.
If this sounds like you, then “help us shape the future of our school” now. Parent involvement is critical for a successful school, sign up to be nominated as a PTA elected officer.
Offices included in this election:
Mandatory Officers (check all that apply):
- 🗹 President / Co-President
- 🗹 Recording Secretary / Co-Secretary
- 🗹 Treasurer / Co-Treasurer
Non-Mandatory Officers (check all that apply):
- 🗹 Vice President / Co-VP
- 🗹 Corresponding Secretary / Co-Secretary
- 🗹 Other Officer ______________________
To nominate yourself or someone else, please write a short letter of intent or recommendation.
Submit by email to: PS150qPTA@gmail.com
Submit in person to: PTA office
Deadline to submit nominations: Wednesday, May 9, 2018
(we will be taking floor nominations as well)
All parents are eligible to hold PA/PTA office, unless they are employees of the school.
Date: Wednesday, May 16, 2018
Location: Main Building, Blue Area
All parents are eligible to vote in the PA/PTA election.
For more information, please contact
Won’t it take a lot of time?
Yes, we confess, it is a time commitment, but usually only a matter of hours per month.
- Some work can be done at home on your own schedule.
- There are one or two PTA board meetings per month.
- It helps to be comfortable with email so everyone can communicate with each other no matter what their schedules are.
- It also can help if you have a flexible daytime schedule but it’s not required.
Don’t I need to have a lot of skills or experience?
All you need is an interest in your child’s school and a willingness to learn and be involved.
- It helps if you use email regularly and are reasonably comfortable with a computer.
- Former board members and volunteers will be able to offer advice.
- Bilingual volunteers are needed!
What’s in it for me?
Here’s your big chance to get involved with your child’s school and make a difference.
- Make friends and new connections.
- Learn new skills.
- Have a greater understanding of school and PTA issues.
If you don’t want to join the board, consider taking on a leadership role for an event (like the Movie Night or Read-A-Thon or Carnival). We need you!
Although everyone chips in to do whatever is necessary to keep the PTA running smoothly, below is a description for each position:
- Lead monthly PTA meetings and quarterly executive committee meetings
- Attend meetings with Principal, Assistant Principals, and Parent Coordinator
- Oversee all activities of the PTA and work with other volunteers to carry-out PTA objectives.
- Respond to parent and teacher inquiries
- Represent the PTA on the SLT (School Leadership Team) and the Presidents’ Council
Time Commitment: Approximately 30 hours per month
- Preside at meetings in the absence of the President
- Oversee and assisting volunteers leading PTA fundraisers (Fall Fundraiser, Picture Days, Box Tops, Read-A-Thon, Boutiques)
- Work with President and Treasurer on budgeting for fundraisers, managing grants
- Oversee spending budgets for all fundraising events
- Market all fundraisers including posting updates about fundraisers in newsletter and social media
- Provide updates on fundraising activities at PTA meetings
- Recruit volunteers to lead PTA initiatives and help PTA chairs to recruit volunteers for events
- Help implement and oversee student social events such as Dances/Party and Movie Nights with event chairs and school Parent Coordinator
- Assist teachers with finding parent volunteers, as needed
Time Commitment: Approximately 20 hours per month
- Oversee PTA finances and budget
- Produce and present monthly financial reports
- Prepare annual budget, and propose ongoing budget changes as necessary
- Ensure annual audit is carried out and tax return filed; file all IRS forms
- Balance PTA checking account
- Collect funds and deposit to bank; fill out all appropriate fund raising forms and prepare copies for Principal’s files
- Make disbursements as authorized; Have checks signed as needed
Time Commitment: Approximately 25 hours per month
- Work with President to prepare agendas for monthly PTA meetings and quarterly Executive Committee meetings
- Record the minutes of all PTA meetings
- Keeps official copies and files of PTA designated in bylaws
- Promote PTA meeting and agenda topics on social media
- Prepare PTA meeting minutes and circulate to community
- Keep track of guest speaker invitations for PTA meetings
- Special projects as assigned/created
Time Commitment: Approximately 10 hours per month
- Send out notices of the PTA board with Principal approval
- Oversee membership communications including email contact database
- Post updates to Social Media including calendars on Facebook
- Assist VP in recruiting volunteers to lead PTA initiatives and help PTA chairs to recruit volunteers for events
- Send periodic emails regarding PTA events and other meetings
- Coordinate teacher appreciation, holiday and end of the year gifts
Time Commitment: Approximately 10-15 hours per month