The final PTA Meeting for the school year 2011 – 2012 was held on Thursday, June 14th. Thank you, Scott Grodesky and Oumih Francis for your dedication, effort and upstanding service – you have been an inspiration to parents and teachers. With the camaraderie you’ve instilled, we can look forward to the 2012 – 2013 school year in great spirit.
The review is as follows:
* The treasurer’s report detailed expenses which included the 5th Grade trip, a floor A/C unit for the school’s copier room and Field day equipment expenses. Carnival showed a profit of over $286 dollars, after all. For Spring Carnival 2013, we hope to close off 41 street to set up booths for vendors – the potential income generated from that will help offset the costs for the rides, extending the event for the community as well as the school.
* Parents’ votes were necessary to move on expenditures over five-hundred dollars. Those items were: new flutes for the music band, instruments for the Annex, a cash reserve for the Recess committee and a cash reserve for “Micro Grants” for special projects a teacher may wish to implement. All proposals were approved by the parents who attended the meeting.
* The allocated emergency fund for a substitute teacher stipend was not needed and returned to the cash balance.
* With a flat screen TV donated by a parent, PS 150 has experimented with an information terminal. The idea is to have terminals throughout the school, in the lobby, cafeteria and annex to provide information on upcoming events. If you have a flat screen TV that you would like to donate to the PTA, please contact us at (718) 784-2252 Ext. 1551 or email: ps150Qpta@gmail.com.
* Principal Ms. Parache stressed the importance of parents to keep up the reading and writing during the summer break. She also announced that the proposal for the 25th and 26th as non-attendance days was NOT approved by the Board of Education – P.S. 150Q will be open regular attendance hours.
* Please visit the newly revamped PS 150Q website. Mr. Espinoza has done a fantastic job of making the site easy to navigate, highly informative and useful. Links and downloads are available and a school supply list is expected to post as well – check it out. https://sites.google.com/site/ps150queens/
* The School Leadership Team (SLT) will be enclosing a letter with advice on healthy eating. While the summer break means plenty of outdoor activity and exercise, be sure to enhance their growth with a healthy, balanced diet full of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and protein. Also, remember to hydrate with plenty of water!
* The proposal for a cot in the nurses station at the annex was thwarted with many concerns. From regulations to hygiene to space, providing a cot in the annex is too complicated to fulfill. Instead, we are looking into the possibility of a comfortable chair that an ill child can rest in until pickup.
* Committees for recess and fundraising will be replaced with having a key person in charge of a particular project. If you have ideas, opinions and would like to be involved, please contact us – your help would be tremendously appreciated.
* We recognize and celebrate the diversity of our community and try to make every effort to reach and involve parents of all cultures. Our greatest challenge is communication. Our plea is to call on parents who will interpret in their native language and otherwise represent their fellow nationals. We urgently need Spanish and all Asian language speakers. You do not need to be fluent in English yourself, just willing to make a difference in your child’s education.
* The Q & A session brought up a request for parents to sit in on SLT meetings. The SLT meeting schedule is posted on their board, which is located next to the office. While parents are welcome to sit in, they are technically not be permitted to enter the discussion.
* The SES Tutoring through Title One is expected to continue in 2013, however, whether BiNet will remain as the service provider is not confirmed.