At the PTA meeting held on Thursday, April 19th, the following topics were covered.
- Spring Carnival is scheduled for Saturday, May 19th. Ticket prices are anticipated to be at $12.00 per person. Children will enjoy games, bouncy rides, a petting zoo and refreshments – details on the activities that are included with admission will be announced. Volunteers are wanted and welcome to assist with the attractions, concession stands and maintaining general order. Please call (718) 784-2252 ext. 1551 or email ps150Qpta@gmail.com.
- PS 150Q is among many schools in New York City facing crippling budget cuts. This year funds to secure substitute teachers have already depleted. An agreement with the PTA secured funds for the remainder of the school year through June. Principal Ms. Parache has vowed that the funds will not be used unless strictly necessary but it is to avoid having to disperse students to other classes should their teacher call out sick.
- The budget cut crisis sparked attention to be active in protesting them and demanding accountability of funds that are spent. Please stay tuned for further developments.
- Oumih Francis, our dedicated, responsible and kind hearted Secretary for the PTA, had announced her resignation from the position. We would like to express our gratitude and appreciation for her efforts and commend her for her time. Following her tenure, Rebecca Wilkins has been nominated for the Secretary position. Beatrice Gomez and Shawn O’Connell will be running to maintain their positions as Vice President and Treasurer respectively.
- In the Treasurer’s Report, we were pleasantly surprised to learn a few last minute envelopes were submitted for the Read-A-Thon. The total books read is at approximately 2,500 books. Great job everyone!
- The Title One report stated the remainder of its budget has been used to purchase two more computers, which will be available for parents to use.
- Guest Speaker, Sharon Smith from Sunnyside Community Center presented an opportunity for training as a “Homecare Worker.” Once certified, Home Health Aides are eligible for wages, health insurance and other attractive benefits. You are invited to attend their Open House, scheduled on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. For more information, please contact Sharon Smith at 718-784-6160 extension 345.