Thanks to all the parents, Principal Ms. Parache, Assistant Principal Mr. Perez and Ms. Pate for making the PTA meeting on Thursday, March 15th. A special “Thank You” goes out to the Bryant High School’s Key Club members who volunteered to monitor the children of the parents who attended – you were awesome! Thank you!
Following the “Parent Workshop on Reading,” the meeting commenced covering the following topics.
- The Playworks program for recess is on a one year hiatus due to the company’s selection to expand in Manhattan first. The diversion gives the school additional time to raise the funds needed to initiate the program at P.S. 150Q.
- At our next meeting, nominations will be accepted for positions in the PTA.
- The Read-A-Thon was an outstanding success both financially and objectively. For its inaugural run, the earnings proved the event can become a staple fund raising event. Also, the next time you stop in at Sunnyside Pizza, Sunnyside Florist or Baruir Coffee, be sure to say “Thank you for supporting P.S. 150’s Read-A-Thon” for their generous grants.
- The PTA voted in favor of running the Spring Carnival for May 2012.
- The Principal’s report reiterated the plea to protect your children from predators that gain access to them through Facebook. The ease in which personal and private information can be exposed is reason enough to do what you can to monitor their activity on these social networks.
- The Computer Workshop for Parents has had positive effect in helping parents to understand computers and the valuable uses. Classes take place in our new Technology Lab with the same equipment used by the students. A few sessions remain and run through April 21, 2012. Please visit https://sites.google.com/site/parenttechworkshop/home for more information.
- Box Tops 4 Education coupons have been submitted and we are excited to say that the coupons have generated over three-hundred dollars. Thanks to all the parents and students who submitted – our next submission will be in October of 2012.
- The Q&A session brought up a question on “keyboarding lessons,” which are taught in Technology Class. Whether or not your child has Technology class with Mr. Espinoza, you are invited to visit his Technology Class website at http://tiny.cc/funtech