Thanks to all the parents who joined the PTA meeting with Ms. Parache, Ms. Pate, Mr. Espinoza and guest speaker, Calvet Liburd of Playworks. Events and workshops are in process of registration – please don’t delay in signing up.
The meeting review is as follows:
- PRESIDENT’S REPORT: Spring Carnival volunteers are wanted! Volunteers to help with the concession stands, rides and supervision are requested to contact the PTA office at ps150Qpta@gmail.com or call (718) 784-2252 extension 1551. Also, if you reside on 41st Street or have friends and neighbors who do, please be notified that the school is applying for the street’s closure for additional room.
- Treasurer’s Report: Explained funds used for the drama production and the Science department. Tri-fold boards and stickers will remain on sale through next week – prices are $5 for the board and $3 for the labels.
- State Testing Standards: Due to overwhelming response, P.S.150Q’s PTA is currently researching the most effective way to petition for changes to the State testing standards. We are exploring all avenues from a petition, to letter blitzes and polls. Please stay tuned for updates.
- Computer Workshop for Parents: Through Title 1 funding, P.S. 150Q is offering eight weeks of computer training, taught by Mr. Espinoza. The Beginner workshops starts February 14th, so PLEASE REGISTER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Contact Ms. Pate at 718-784-2252 ext. 1611 or register at http://tiny.cc/techworkshop or https://sites.google.com/site/parenttechworkshop – a flyer with the workshop dates was sent home with every student.
- Principal’s Report: Ms. Parache conveyed welcoming news of P.S. 150Q’s quality review. On a scale level of 1 to 4, the school was graded at Level 3, as proficient and well developed. Ms. Parache also reiterated the importance of building your child’s reading stamina and introducing them to news articles. State tests have included articles published by the New York Times, Newsweek or Time magazine to gauge a student’s comprehension; it pays to be prepared.
- Recess Committee: Guest speaker, Calvet Liburd from Playworks explained the half-day workshop and the full-year technical support programs offered by the organization. Mr. Liburd presented examples of indoor activities that the students could easily participate in during recess in the auditorium and discussed costs as well as options available. Please visit www.playworks.org for more information.
- Box Tops 4 Education: Accumulated Box Tops coupons will be submitted on March 1st. You may send your coupons in with your child to the school or drop them off in an envelope at the PTA office in the main building. Any coupons submitted after March 1st will be kept for the next redemption cycle.
- The Annex needs volunteers for the Book Fair during the last week of February. We are looking for volunteers to assist our Pre-K and Kindergarten students during their shopping visits. If you can spare an hour or more, please contact the PTA at ps150Qpta@gmail.com or call (718) 784-2252 extension 1551.
- Q & A: An inquiry was made regarding the gauging of our proceeds thus far for the Read-A-Thon. Currently, we have placed a poll on our website for parents to select their progress as of February 10. Please visit our Read-A-Thon Poll to make your vote count.