Thank you parents, guest speakers, Ms. Pate and Principal Ms. Parache for making the January 19th PTA meeting. The meeting commenced with the President’s report and delved into issues that touched on tardiness, state assessment standards and Title One SES tutoring to name a few. The summary is as follows:
- President’s report: Winter Carnival is cancelled. A “Movie/Game Night” is currently an idea being considered to replace the event.
- Read-A-Thon document packages have been distributed. You can download and print the Read-A-Thon documents with the exclusion of a collection envelope. You may use a standard letter envelope. Please state the student’s name and class on the front.
- Tardiness procedures are revised to address the large number of late students. Parents are responsible for promptness. If arrival exceeds the five-minute grace period – after 8:10 am, the parent/guardian must accompany the child to sign in the late arrival log. Please, be considerate – be punctual.
- Recess Committee explored the idea of Play-Well TEKnologies program for creative development during recess. For information on the organization, please visit http://play-well.org/
- Treasurer Report disclosed the profit margin from “Holiday Boutiqe” sales and detailed expenses for the drama production. The Holiday Boutique sales were greater than expected, however, the amount which the PTA keeps is only a percentage of it. Whereas the funds raised from the Read-A-Thon is almost entirely our profit. So please, Support the Read-A-Thon!
- Principal’s Report: At the last PTA meeting, Principal Ms. Parache addressed our school’s assessment rank with the city and state. While our position reverberates concern, Ms. Parache strongly believes our students are well on track and the school’s curriculum strives to progress beyond expected standards. Still, many parents and teachers are frustrated, perturbed and generally confused with the state and city’s assessment tests that evaluate our students and school. You can speak out. Write to the NYSED Board of Regents at http://www.regents.nysed.gov/members/.
- Group Tutoring is coming to P.S. 150Q: A package will be sent home with each student to apply for after-school tutoring at P.S. 150Q. Please submit the application, whether or not you feel your child requires it. The DOE office determines eligibility and selects those students that will most benefit from the program. Mr. Wimmer of BiNet, the elected tutoring agency, spoke at the meeting and advised two available opportunities. Group tutoring at the school, approximately two days a week at two hours and private tutoring for hire at home, through a selection of BiNet affiliates.
- Q&A session addressed an inquiry on collecting Boxtops 4 Education coupons. Some classrooms have been set up with containers for students to drop in their coupons. But parents are welcome to drop off coupons in an envelope at the PTA Office in the main building. Separately, an inquiry was made about anonymous sponsorship for the Read-A-Thon. Our underlying goal to promote reading should be encouraged for every student, even those with less advantage. If you’d like to sponsor a student, please e-mail the PTA at ps150Qpta@gmail.com with your pledge. Thank you!